View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 01:54 PM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Michelin Xi3 Winter Tires

I will start this off to be a good board citizen.

Vehicle Details: 2013 3 Series Sedan, Sport Line RWD

Tire Brand and Type Being Reviewed: Michelin X-Ice Xi3

Tire Size: 215/55R17

Is this tire a "Run Flat" model: No

Approximate Miles Driven on New Tires: 1500 Miles

I Would Recommend These Tires: Yes

Detailed Tire Review: I bought these tires after reading some excellent tire rack reviews, and from experience with the Xi2 Michelins on my wife's car. I previously used Blizzaks exclusively but found that they where just awful on dry roads and in warmish wet conditions. I happy am to report that the Xi3s have great dry road manners while also being very good in the snow.

In day to day driving (Philadelphia PA Suburbs) I find the tires to be secure and compliant. They are also whisper quiet so far and handle fairly well even at the reduced width I am running. I would not call them sporty but they are definitely firmer and dare I say sportier than I expected. Obviously they can't compare to my standard summer tires, but for 3ish months out of the year, they are workable. Of note I am running these on generic rims from tire rack with TPMS sensors installed.

Most importantly I had a chance to test them in the conditions I bought them for. About 3 to 5 inches of snow/slush. In this regard, they really exceeded my expectations. The most impressive thing was how they handled lane transitions at 40 to 50 mph. Changing lanes and driving over the what is usually a center line of snow was nothing to these tires. Taking turns at moderate speeds instilled real confidence and normal acceleration in intersections was easy. I am really impressed so far, and continue to believe that winter tires are always the better decisions vs AWD if you have to choose one.
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)

Last edited by samualcc; 01-10-2013 at 01:57 PM.