View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
Pirelli Sottozero runflat review

Vehicle Details: 2013 335i xDrive M Sport Sedan

Tire Brand and Type Being Reviewed: Pirelli Sottozero Series II (winter tire)

Tire Size: 225/50R-17

Is this tire a "Run Flat" model: Yes

Approximate Miles Driven on New Tires:2000 Miles

I Would Recommend These Tires: Yes

Detailed Tire Review: I commute between Seattle and my cabin in the Methow Valley of the N Cascades. It gets _very_ snowy. Having found on other cars that "Performance Winter" tires, e.g. Blizzak LM series, not nearly as good as the WS Blizzaks or Michelin X-Ice, I wasn't very happy to find only "Performance" models available in run flat. But spares take up too much room and I don't want to worry about getting a flat at 1am in a blizzard in the boonies.

Having driven the Sottozero in several whiteout drives, I can say that they're very adequate. Whenever I was concerned about my traction I needed only to look at the people spinning out around me to that things were simply slick. (or they all had crappy tires and didn't know how to drive, but it sure was entertaining!) No problem towing a snowmobile trailer through 6 inches of unplowed.

Dry/wet handling is much better than the WS Blizzaks or X-Ice (on previous cars that include Audis and STi). Turn-in feel is close to that of the stock all season Pirelli P7 (which might be saying more about the P7...)