View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
I still have a new Bold 9900 ...
BlackBerry 7 - BBM Voice

BBM is a fast, convenient and inexpensive service for BlackBerry® customers that gives them the ability to instantly chat with a friend, family member or colleague, and know when their message has been delivered, and read. With the new version of BBM, customers have a new option - they can talk with their BBM contact across the globe for free over a Wi-Fi connection. In an instant, customers can switch between texting and talking, or talk and text at the same time. For consumers, especially in developing markets, the BBM Voice feature offers an attractive way to talk with friends and family near and far, and staying in contact will be easier than ever as the holiday season approaches. For business customers, BBM Voice allows for enriched collaboration.

BBM version 7 includes some great updated features including the new BBM Voice. BBM Voice lets you instantly initiate a voice call with BBM friends for free over a Wi-Fi connection.

In any BBM conversation, simply tap the call button and you'll start a voice call - it's that simple. BBM Voice will add some great depth to BBM, providing you the ability to escalate a chat to a voice call when the situation calls for it. This feature should be huge in emerging markets or for anyone calling long distance as there will be no long-distance charges.

Additionally, in BBM you'll be able to see each users status as well so you'll know who is available for a call and who isn't. When on a call you'll see a split-screen view and can still use any other apps on your device. So you can still use the chat function as well as send pictures within BBM or even check email or use the browser.

I've played around with it a bit today and I have to say it works without a hitch. I've made numerous calls to contacts all over the world and they've all worked flawlessly. BBM Voice is tightly integrated in BBM so there is really no learning curve at all. If your contact is available, just tap the status icon to start a BBM Voice call and that's that.

While you're on a call you still have the ability to use the standard BBM chat for text or sending files, and you can also jump out to other apps on your device, just like with the phone itself. Check your email, view you calendar or browse the web while on a call. The only thing you need to remember is that to answer the call you need to press the Send button.

BBM Voice is truly an amazing addition to BBM. If you travel often or talk to friends/family long distance, it can be huge help to your long-distance charges. Being able to "escalate" a BBM chat to a voice chat with just one button is a no-brainer. Gone are the days of sending voice notes back and forth -- BBM Voice is where it's at.

BBM 7 is currently available in the BlackBerry Beta Zone for registered users. Once you install the app, you can see the status icon for contacts that are also using BBM 7. If their status is green, tap the icon to start a call and you're off to the races. It's awesome.

BBM Voice includes a number of convenient features:
• Customers can initiate a BBM Voice call directly, or instantly switch from a BBM text chat to talk, and back again.
• The split-screen feature allows customers to talk and text at the same time, so for example, they can send a picture to their contact while talking with them. They can also check other BBM text chats, check email, or navigate to other apps while engaged on a BBM Voice call.
• BBM provides a visual indicator that shows when contacts are available for a voice call.
• BBM Voice is compatible with any accessories a customer has now for making voice calls on their BlackBerry smartphone, such as a Bluetooth® or wired headset. Customers can also use BBM Voice over their BlackBerry smartphone's speakerphone.
• If it's not an ideal time to talk, customers can simply choose to respond by texting back.

Another important feature of BBM version 7 is its integration with a customer's BlackBerry ID, which is designed to back up their BBM profile, groups and contacts so they can automatically be restored in the event they switch to a new BlackBerry smartphone, including to a BlackBerry® 10 device.

BBM Voice works solely over WiFi via BlackBerry ID. While you can turn your mobile coverage off regular BBM will still work, that's because of BIS working securely through your WiFi connection. I pulled out my SIM card and tried to call and truth be told it works! Two BlackBerrys without SIM cards can still talk crystal clear using BBM Voice with the BBs logged on to WiFi networks.

RIM will continue to support BB7 phones.

http://nerdberry.net/2012/12/26/brea...rry-data-plan/

http://crackberry.com/bbm-voice

http://crackberry.com/how-use-bbm-voice

Last edited by MCSL; 01-10-2013 at 11:01 PM.