View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpScorpion View Post
Thank You! The car has been sitting for a couple of years. I slid off a road in the Sierras after hitting some black ice. Thanks to BM Tech in Rancho Cordova, used parts have been plentiful, and not very expensive. I bought a couple of 17" style 19's from ECS Tuning, which saved a lot of money. I've decided it was time to start this project, as I LOVE this car. I had a 79 320i and a 71 2002 when I was in my twenties, and have been in love with BMW's ever since. I want the satisfaction of being able to put her back on the road, and put that scary crash behind me! It's a project of love!
Hi again. I was just looking at your photos for the second time and it occurred to me to ask you what is the damage to your car. It looks like the "a" pillar and the rocker panel. Is there more (eg "b' pillar, etc.)? If it is only the "a" pillar why are you messing with the trunk area? Replace what needs to be replaced but don't go crazy and make more work. By the way, if there are a couple of small dents don't replace the entire panel. Once things are basically done take it to a body shop where they will have a cool little tool (name varies by brand). Basically they well little studs to the dent and then carefully pull the dent out, cut off the stud, and grind smooth. No stupid holes to fill afterwards. Let us know the progress, we're interested.

ADDED: If the "b" pillar isn't too bad I would definately get a body shop to pull/push it out with a "Porta Power" rather than cutting all that material out and trying to replace it. It can be done but it is a lot of work that may not be really required. Shops that do this kind of work do it smartly as well as correctly. I just don't want to see you get over your head and go to far and not being able to go back. Best of luck whicheer way you choose!

Last edited by fortunateson; 01-11-2013 at 11:21 AM.