View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 740il
740IL Trans problem - Trans Fail Safe

I have a 1998 BMW 740IL

Problem noticed today on Interstate when changing lands I noticed kind of like a hesitiation with a clunk sound, let off the gas then resumed just fine with minimal slippage in the transmission.

Later in the day I noticed trans seemed to slip more but if I took it easy, it would resume fine.

Later I tried to go fast, then it did have some very noticeable slippage and then When I tried to go fast and the trans should normally kick down a gear it did not and then the transfail safe program came on the dash. Once that happened, I noticed the lights for the PRD,etc went off and would not resume. I would let the car sit for 10 minutes, then the trans program light would go off and the P,R,D lights would return to normal.

I do have a relatively new battery. Alternator has not been checked, but I cannot see it being bad.

When the trans program light is on, the car will go into reverse just fine. however trying to go, it seems to be limited on power. Almost like it is in 4th gear kind of and hard to go. So it would be time to let it sit.

So your thoughts?

If I have to change the filter, how difficult, Can I get the fluid at autozone, they said they had something at $6.00/ Quart. Then how difficult to pour the fluid in?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin
Ads by Google