Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30
Vehicle Details: 2012 335i ZSL (Sport line), RWD

Tire Brand and Type Being Reviewed: Goodyear Efficient Grip ROF

Tire Size: 225/45R18 91Y

Is this tire a "Run Flat" model: Yes

Approximate Miles Driven on New Tires: 5500 Miles

I Would Recommend These Tires: No

Detailed Tire Review: These were the "summer performance" tires that my car came equipped with. When they wear out, I won't be buying another set. These tires are too compromised for my taste.

While quiet and comfortable, they brake poorly -- an issue some early reviews of the F30 pointed out. Low rolling resistance is the opposite of sticky and these tires let the brakes on the car down. Driven gently, these tires do allow the very powerful 335i to get 26MPG in my combination of stop-and-go highway jams and suburban driving. So, they are efficient, but they are most definitely NOT "summer performance tires."

On the plus side, the tires came with a factory road hazard warranty, something that worked for me when a rear picked up a metal shim.

Run-flat tires have come a long way from the hard-as-rocks Bridgestones that were OEM tires on my 2006 E90 330i. These Goodyears don't make my teeth chatter when going over bumps like those did. They don't make the suspension crash either as was so common with earlier-generation RFTs. But BMW tried too hard to round the square with these tires. They can't be both performance tires AND low-rolling resistance tires.

One more point: these tires have no -- ZERO -- grip on even a dusting of snow. Forget ice. They are exceptionally dangerous in cold weather (until the tire hits about 60 degrees internal temperature. Code your car to see actual pressure and temperatures. Go ahead -- it's safe and easy to code F30s.) So that aspect of a summer tire holds true for the EfficientGrip. But the classic disadvantages of a summer tire are not made up for by the benefits of a summer tire in the case of the Goodyear Efficient Grip ROF.
Redelivered: 2012-09-12