View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 645i convert
I've had mine for 15,000 miles and two years... form 64k to 80k which should be bad from maintenance required perspectives.

Needed:
Transmission reprogram ($300) Not really maintenance Not covered in CPO
Convertible top sensors ($1100) Not covered in CPO
DCS failure ($600) COVERED in CPO!!!!!!!
Brakes (DIY for $160) Not covered in CPO
Trans filter & fluid (DIY 220) Not covered in CPO
Tires ($ Long story, but essentially free as they came on my M6 wheels almost new) & not CPO
CCV valves (DIY for $60) Not covered in CPO
Thermostat (DIY for $90) Not covered in CPO
Coolant hose (DIY for $49) Not covered in CPO
Filters and Oil (DIY for $???) Not covered in CPO
. Not covered in CPO
. Not covered in CPO
. Not covered in CPO

My point... My car came with a CPO and I found that BMW found a way to wiggle out of every single opportunity to pay on it. There was always a technicality. The big ticket item: The roof was non CPO because it is in their eyes "an accessory!" As I've said before, I wonder how many Cabrios they have sold without this accessory. Another illustration..... defective transmission programming... and it is not considered part of the "drivetrain" and hence not covered. Really? The software is integral to the transmission. It can't work without it. It is defective by their admission, and unchanged since delivery, and not subject to wear AND Not covered?

I wouldn't waste my money on their CPO. Understand your car, maintain it well, and don't flog it, and it will last you a good long time. I may be more lucky than most, but despite my relatively high mileage, no majors expenses. Just meticulous maintenance of the fluids and systems AND careful use. Drive hard, but without potholes, low fluids, dirty fluids, right pressures etc.

But it does disgust me to have had to pay some significant coin to repair two engineering defects that BMW refused to cover under CPO. Simply stupid image management to not take responsibility for their engineering. Especially on what is one of their flagship products with what would presumably be the sweet spot of their target customer base.

Maintain well and use the money from the CPO for beer. It will make you feel better than BMW will when they refuse to pay on a technicality.

Last edited by Skarv; 01-11-2013 at 05:35 PM.