View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
The main point to remember is that warranties are sold to make a profit. They don't push them on you for the good of their health.

If you have the cash flow to handle the unexpected occasional $1,500 repair then I would skip the CPO. I would definitely skip CPO if you work on your own car for minor maintenance items like brakes and oil changes.

That said, a few people on the board have cars that required several big $ repairs and the CPO really paid for itself. I still feel this is the exception.

My '06 650i has had zero issues over the last 2.5 years other than normal wear items. Car has about 68K miles (110K km) on it. I drive the crap out of my cars (I also track the 650i occasionally) and have used it for several very long road trips to mountain roads where I thoroughly flogged the car.
+1 here. I am into my fourth year with the 650i and do the basic fluid changes on my own. The only warranty repair I can recall post delivery has been the passenger side sill plate that was no longer lighting up. It has lowish miles (bought with 13k and 37k now) so obviously it's not a daily driver, but it has been perfect. Oh, and I hook it up to a battery tender if it is going to sit for more than a couple of days.
I had the original 4 year / 50k miles BMW warranty the first two years and was debating getting additional warranty coverage when it expired, but in my case it would have been a waste.
To date, I have paid for oil (motor, trans, and diff), filters (oil, air, and cabin), tires, a short shift kit, and a boot legged 2013 map update. I hope the trend continues.