View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
To be fair I bought the 550 after comparing it to the Alpina B7x and the Porsche Panamera Turbo, so I was looking for a bit more than the typical 550 buyer. The stock 550 is very capable, but the key issue is the quietness of the car is misperceived as having a lack of performance.
I would agree, many here think that.

However, that's not the issue with mine. The issue with mine is:

* Wandering steering - when on the highway, constant small corrections are required to keep the car moving straight. The car never feels settled. It feels nervous, and not in a good way. It is tiring.

* Take off hesitation / jerk. The car is impossible to pull away from a stop smoothly. Sometimes it's ok, sometimes it's like being rear-ended. Very aggravating. Also...

* Low speed roll on thump. When rolling through a right turn or perhaps a speed bump in the parking lot, larger applications of throttle following the almost stop results in a jerky downshift to first followed by wild RPM revving.

* Lack of predictable response to the throttle while underway. The latest software has helped this somewhat, however it still feels a bit lazy, like it is very reluctant to downshift. The engine is responsive, however the car sometimes just wants to stay in fuel saver mode.

* Uneven braking when slowing to a stop. Feels like the alternator cutting in and out or perhaps the transmission, makes it very difficult to smoothly pull to a stop.

All in all, small niggles that are very frustrating to an otherwise wonderful car. Now, I think my car is worse than most. I've driven later 2011's and 2012's that don't have the same issues. But overall the car does feel a bit sluggish and slow to react. By comparison, my MDX, which is nowhere near as civilized, but weighs 600 lbs more and has a higher center of gravity, is smoother to drive and feels more taught and composed.

Ponder that, unfortunately.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians