View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
That's an interesting thought. Either way, the current design language came out under his direction, whether it was via him kicking and screaming or not. He gave it his all and we all see how great the turnout is, especially relative to the revolutionary but not so attractive vehicles that preceded them.

I saw a video where he was describing the thought process behind designing the 5-Series GT, of course that car is IMO a hideous beast but point is that car came out along with the F10, therefore the same parenting concept carries over. Also, I remember reading interviews where he was (obviously) very passionate about getting the F01 "right", I'm sure as proof to those who called his work "flawed" that he knew how to design "it just works" (to quote Mr. Jobs) as well.

The F01/F10 concepts were probably ideas close to getting underway not long after the E65 and E60 launched in 2001-2003. Bangle oversaw the whole thing from the ground up, he's the "parent designer". IMO this makes the cars extra special, but then again, I have massive respect for Bangle. Not because I love every product he oversaw, but because he showed two different sides of a great designer. Side-one wasn't for me, so I got to enjoy side-2.

Remember, the F10 debuted in Nov 2009, in Europe, and Bangle left in March 2009. There was NO time to do even the smallest of tweaks, even if they wanted to for whatever reason. That's a spec of time in car-land. Definitely completely frozen under his watch.
I accept your response and agree that you make good points. The previous generation cars were still ugly though.