View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceans10 View Post
Only problem with ARS is that after 5 years the hydraulic tensioner tends to leak and eventually need to be replaced. I plan to eventually remove them and install a heavy fixed sway bar, like H&R.
I already have a small leak but living with it for now.

Agree that F10 steering is awful. Makes it feel like a Buick.
You probably could remove both the front and rear ARS bars and replace them with the stock E60 (non-sport) bars, then reprogram the computer system. I haven't heard of anyone who has driven the sport that wants to go to the non-sport.

You mentioned that you would go to a heavier bar. Unfortunately to get anywhere near the dampening effect of the ARS system the ride will be much rougher when traveling in a straight line over road irregularities.

I haven't seen a rebuilder who advertises rebuilding ARS bars in addition to steering racks, but it is only a matter of time, given how many manufacturers are presently using them or are investigating their use in new models.

ZF Sachs is the ARS bar OEM with some specialized valve seals from Trelleborg. My guess is that presently ARS cores removed for replacement go to a factory service center for overhaul and are then recycled back into the market in the same fashion that ZF Lenksysteme handles the steering rack program.

If the leak is slow I would recommend topping off the steering reservoir as I'm sure you have been doing. For a slow leak a can of CHF 11S lasts a long time at $15. You may also want to try the repair described in the attached from this forum. I don't know if it is a long term solution but it sounded interesting.