View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
If heavier steering is better is partly subjective and partly objective. Personally I prefer it to be heavier where it requires more of a determined effort to change direction and it feels more natural. No power steering is the most natural and I'm old enough to remember it. Objectively a heavier steering has a larger dynamic range and can be made to better communicate grip. Think of the difference between the wheels in the air ( no resistance ) and the wheels standing still on dry Tarmac, the bigger the range in steering resistance the better the steering can be made to communicate grip in between.

The Cayenne's steering is very similar to the Panny which I've driven. They are both very good but the X5s is better IMO. The F10s is sh*t. I really disliked it in mine. Light steering is coming everywhere and in some cars it's good but it doesn't mean everyone prefers it. It might even be faster on a track since it induces less fatigue and can possibly also help with faster reactions. I do realize though that it belongs in the purist section and that it will soon be part of history and in a very limited set of enthusiast vehicles. It's going the way of passive sports suspension and NA performance engines.
I agree with your statement. I firmly believe a properly weighted steering wheel is very important to feedback what is happening on the wheel. I still remember I sense something was wrong with tires when the steering wheel felt a little slippery. If you are always light on steering wheel, it would be hard to detect a delta in change of force. So I agree that heavier steering is better if it is not artificially harden.

Passive sport suspension is easy to get it back. BMW just add a small control unit to the damper to make it active. Replace that with a without electrical connection, you will get that back! I saw the picture of it in X3 forum. I am sure eventually there will be an after market for those that doesn't like active ones.

NA engine? If you look at the way people promote diesel on this thread, you would think gasoline engine is going into extinction in the US.