View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 08:48 AM
what does this button do?

Mein Auto: 08 535xit
Rotors typically "warp" from either heat build up or from pad deposits. Heat build usually leaves discoloration in the surface of the rotor and is easier to diagnose then pad deposits. What brand rotors and pads are you using now? You may want to consider resurfacing your rotors once, this can eliminate warp from heat build up and/or strip off any pad deposits build ups. After the resurfacing, if the shimmy is gone, then obviously you know you are on the source of the problem. Keep in mind that the warp can return if it's caused by failed components such as wheel bearings or incorrect torqued wheels, less likely to return if resulting from infrequent emergency braking. This is why I suggest resurfacing before spending money on new rotors, if the warp does come back you need to start investigating other possible root causes, fix them, then replace the rotors. Another idea to try to switching to a different pad compound, this can help clean up the pad deposits without even removing the rotors. I do not suggest Centric brand rotors on an e61, I've had quality issues with two different sets and could not keep them from warping out, switched to OEM rotors and no problems since. There is a reason why these rotors are so cheap and generally, yes, you get what you pay for.