Thread: Z3 @%#@! Rattle
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 M Roadster
Z3 @%#@! Rattle

My recently acquired '98 Z3 is coming along nicely but I've got a rattle that's driving me crazy. The sounds appear to originate mainly from the passenger side rear whenever I hit a bump. I thought it was the battery since it wasn't secured yet after fixing that the rattle is still there but the battery was loose and needed hardware anyway. I removed the tool tray and spare tire, no go, still there. While I was under the car I noticed what I think are impact shock absorbers behind the bumper and my Bently service manual refers to them but there's no IPB for the rear bumper so I'm not sure. Both the left and right (impact absorbers I'll call them) are loose, also, I believe the car may have been involved in a rear end collision at some point so here's my question... Do these imact absorbers dislodge or degrade after an accident? How do they work? Do they need to be replaced once they've absorbed an impact or was it just a shoddy repair job? Is there any illustration that shows them as an assembly or better yet an IPB? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any input would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I checked the E-brake and various areas that were other considerations but I've ruled them out. I also saw a post about "Subframe Vibration Absorbers" in the rear bumper... could these be my problem? Should they be loose and move when I touch them or should they be secured and tight?
Ads by Google