View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
The provide a 50/50 weight distribution with the 6 cylinder engine.

Purely for marketing purposes.
Interesting. I'll be taking my rear bumper cover off soon for repainting, so will have to decide whether to remove this "balancing weight". Difficult to see any problem it would cause in a front-engine care.

And Pima, you are almost correct. The very first 911s did NOT have these weights, but after more than few "less than F1 quality" drivers experienced car and driver damaging lift-throttle oversteer after they entered a corner too fast Porsche added cast iron weights in the front bumpers to move the weight balance a little farther forward. They also tried two small six-volt batteries (which could be placed farther forward) instead of one bigger 12-volt, and lengthened the wheelbase, before finally addressing the problem with wider rear wheels and tires.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).