View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 06:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 528i, M52TU w/stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggyd357 View Post
Ok....now im really flabergasted !!! I ran a piece of coated galvanized cable through the sunroof drains and heard them both hitting i.side the front wheel wells . When I pulled the cable out it was clean. So Im thinking the drains are clear and complete...not disconnected or broken anywhere. So about then it starts to pour down rain again as it has for 9 days straight now and today the passenger back seat floorboard is dry and the front driver is soaked again. I can see the water dripping down front the handle that pops the hood and the foot rest right behind it. This is seriously starting to piss me off lol !!!
I went through something like this and wrote about it but didn't take any good pics. In post #2 above, Doru provided a link to another DIY with nice pics.

My situation was that the bunny-eared drain hose connectors had actually come loose enough that they leaked whenever it rained. The drain hoses themselves were -not- clogged.

So what I did was remove the grab handle and sunvisor hardware so that I could lower the front corners of the headliner enough to get my hands in there, pull the bunny ears on the connectors so they'd slide off the cassette nipples, coated the cassette nipples with enough Permatex Ultra Black (not so much as to risk clogging the tip or tubes), slid the connectors back on and pray for a watertight seal, which fortunately I got. Zipties might have helped but I didn't use any. My car sits out the rain half a year here in the NW and no leaks for two years, fingers crossed.

--------------------[addendum]

Oh, if you haven't already done it, removing the relevant headliner stuff up front is very easy and doesn't take much time.... I think I spent about 15 minutes per corner. See the following headliner removal DIY wrte-up (for an e38...)

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/566588

Last edited by pleiades; 01-13-2013 at 06:41 PM.