View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
Dang, CA, I forgot about some of them, and only heard of the Facel Vega. Named after the Chevy Vega?
I almost bought a Facel Vega about 10 years ago. It was newly restored and the asking price was $50,000. They are still somewhat of a bargain but not to that degree.

Facel Vega was a French/American "Hybrid" (not in today's definition of a. "hybrid") and had a French designed chassis and coachwork with an American Chryler Hemi engine and Torqueflight transmission. One interesting piece of Facel Vega trivia is that Albert Camus died in the crash of a Facel Vega. The Dual Ghia was also a European American Hybrid and had Italian coachwork and chassis (from Ghia - yes the same Ghia that built the VW Karmann Ghia) and also had a Chrysler engine and transmission. The American production car sourced running gear makes both Facel Vega and Dual Ghias relatively inexpensive to maintain compared to cars like Ferraris and Maseratis of the same era. Famous Dual Ghia owners included Desi Arnaz, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Richard Nixon. There is a story that Ronald Reagan had one and lost it to Lyndon Johnson in a poker game but that may be an urban legend.

The Facel Vega HK500 may be Ms. Audio's all time favorite car. One or two of them usually show up at the Greenwich Concours.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-13-2013 at 10:34 PM.