View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 08:18 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
Can you explain why do you need a bmw to sit in traffic or take your kids to the game? Is it just to show off to your neighbors, or do you get it because you expect certain level of performance from the car? For a skilled driver who takes pleasure in driving, the dynamics of the car in a bumper to bumper traffic are no less important than at 90mph, imo. Why would one pay 50k for a german "sport" sedan, better yet a "bechmark" of what a sport sedan should be, and then have to buy a 20k car to have "real driving fun"? I drive 7 days a week. Why should only 2 of those days be fun? Not sure what i am missing? BMW made their mark as a driving machine company, and that is why people were willing to pay the premium. Now they are trying to become more like lexus or merc, a luxury car copmpany, while capitalizing on their past reputation. It will only work for so long. When it comes to the level of luxury, they are behind their main rivals, imo. Handling was their nitch where very few could compete with them. There are many more competitors in the luxury segment.
My parents owned a 1981 7 Series, was the first car I ever drove, just loved it. Years went by, I did pretty well on my own, started driving 3 Series myself, loved them just as much. BMW is just my brand, can't really tell you why other than it is of high quality, the design is just gorgeous, it drives like a dream, and it sends a positive message about me to those who see me in it.

I drive the 3 Series because it is the perfect blend of luxury and sport. However, I'm in a fairly narrow niche of owners who drive the 3 Series because its is a practical and inexpensive car for my social/financial standing. While many of my contemporaries drive $100,000 cars and feel I should too, I like being in a $50,000 car as it's all I need. The 5 is too big, the 1 is too small, the 3 is just right.

As far as BMW's own strategy, the car tells the story. You pay more, you get more. You want a track-worthy ride, you get a Sport line and add DHP and Adaptive M Suspension. You want a sumptuous ride, you get a Luxury line and add the Technology and Premium packages. BMW isn't giving the sporty ride for free anymore. It's still there, you just need to pay for it. I guess they're finding that the no-Line customer just wants the badge and that the Sport customer has the money to pay more.

That's how BMW attacks Lexus and Mercedes Benz. That's the strategy. Soften the ride, increase the dimensions, add more standard equipment. The baby-boomers have been the bread-and-butter of the 3 Series, they're older now, harsh suspensions feel great in the corners when you're 40 but don't help herniated discs when you're 60. The car doesn't start as a sport sedan that then struggles to be a luxury sedan; other way around now.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®