View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisT.O.pher View Post
Thanks, Bruce.

To clarify my point about the Volvo and BMW AWD experiences, I really didn't have a chance to push the X3 in a way that demonstrated its capabilities. When I drove the XC60 however, I parked with the passenger side in sand/gravel and the driver's side on semi-wet pavement. Then, I put the accelerator through the floor and experienced almost no wheel spin. Within 20-30 yards, I was able to effortlessly merge onto pavement without having to let up and did so with full traction.

Admittedly, this isn't the best way to test either vehicle but when you're on city streets and you've got the sales guy in the back seat, you're bet to keep the lid on.

Maybe there's a better way?
During my test drive of the X3 and the Q5 both dealers actually had me pull over on sand/gravel and to the same test as you describe. The X3 and Q5 both performed great on this test as I'm sure the Volvo does as well. The more impressive test was when I picked up my X3 at the performance center. On their off road course I had an X3 balanced on just two wheels and was able to drive right through. I'd never do some of the things BMW does in the off road course in my own X3 but it did show me Xdrive is pretty good.

I liked the look of the Volvo as well, except from the back. Those supper long curvy tail lights just look hideous to me.