View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselNY View Post
Blows me away how many cars don't have an Android hook up which blows away apple ios sales by almost 3 to 1. Do the car makers not follow smartphone sales or something? Very stupid IMHO

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
I agree with you for the most part, but a main reason for this is fragmentation in the Android OS and different form factors.

Fragmentation - since there so many add ons to the Android OS, no two phones work exactly the same which would mean a lot of extensive testing for BMW. Case in point in my Hyundai (yes Hyundai) I could hit the call button and do voice commands on my Galxy Nexus running IceCream. Now my Jelly Bean Maxx HD will have nothing to do with it. Who knows why?

Form Factor - with the iPhone BMW can make 1 adapter that works with the most popular handset in the world. Up until the new connector on the 5, this was development that paid off for 5 years since Apple had not changed their adapter. 5 Years, across multiple countries on the most popular handset.

As an Android guy, very frustrating. As a business guy, makes total sense.