View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagobeats View Post
yeah that's what I was thinking....definitely not a winter person here, so this will probably be a one off, so may end up renting another car for the trip, i did speak to the dealership and this was his response to me earlier this morning .... "The tires should be good for the snow unless it is really heavy snow"

so looks like it will be a game time decision for me on this one

thanks for taking the time to answer my question

This is bad, potentially legally culpable, advice from the dealer. of course it is a verbal right? Ask them to put it in writing....they wont. If they do, send a copy to your family estate attorney.

The rubber compound in your tires will be hard as a rock- traction will be reduced DRAMATICALLY. With or without chains/cables, you will be at risk. There are actually stories about how dangerous summmer rubber compounds in winter cold, wet, etc (not 6 inches of snow, jsut cold) can be. Read the specs on tirerack- simply driving in rain at "near freezing temps" is dangerous.

Do the real reseach- dont listen to people here, who generally arent well informed. (Only one person mentioned this...)

A