View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornknarr View Post
"but after more than few "less than F1 quality" drivers experienced car and driver damaging lift-throttle oversteer after they entered a corner too fast Porsche added cast iron weights in the front bumpers ".

Would that mean that on our cars removing the weight from the rear would lessen lift-throttle oversteer? I'd guess that wouldn't harm?
I don't think the Z3 has a significant lift-throttle oversteer problem, since it is a front-engine car, although the semi-trailing arm rear suspension may contribute a little. Removal of the vibration absorbers might help a little, and couldn't hurt this, but would also contribute to a little more understeer.

The 911 had a different problem. With the weight of the engine/transmission in the back, if you lift the throttle after you are already in the corner, the weight would transfer to toward the front, which loads up the front tires more and unloads the rear tires some, which reduces the traction available for the rear tires while increasing the traction available for the front tires. If the rear tires were already at or near their traction limit to hold the rear of the car, the rear of the car could suddenly begin sliding out and the car would rotate around the front tires, which have plenty of extra traction, and off the road you would go . . . rear-end first. Not good.

This is not the Z3's vehicle dynamics.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).