View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
Yep, some people are totally clueless and absolutely have no idea what the macro economic realities are in this county.

There is a reason why the overwhelming majority of people buy used cars instead of new cars. And there is a reason why the top selling cars are the Camry, Civic, Corolla, Malibu and Fusion. It's money, or the lack thereof. The masses are buying cars for $25,000 or under.

You can't get into a BMW 3 Series without paying atleast $40,000. A $40,000 car is way out-of-sight for most 90% of the population.
Those cars you mention probably have annual sales of 600K-900K worldwide. I think the 3 series sells something like 400-500K worldwide. It might not be the biggest seller but there are clearly a lot of people who can afford it. In many euro countries, the 3 series is a top 5 seller, I think it outsells the Ford sedan in the UK. Some euros use them as taxi's, so how much of a status symbol can it really be?

It's basically the J Crew of cars, decent quality day to day wear, fashionable but affordable.