View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
That service advisor is spewing more crap than a horse's rear end. He either has no clue how BMWs work or he is lying through his teeth.

Every decent independent BMW mechanic has some form of diagnostic software that can register a battery (Autologic etc...). Most gearhead BMW owners run a bootleg copy of the exact same software that the dealer uses. So yes, your indie can register the battery. Several people on this forum have mentioned that the dealer either forgot to register a battery during install or programed the wrong battery type during the install (AGM vs lead cell).

The brake pad related quotes are some of the worst BS I have ever heard from a service advisor. Burn up you rotors? Akebono and practically all other aftermarket street pads are much easier on rotors than OEM pads. They also normally stop with a little less bite/torque than OEM but they have low dust as a plus. Pure racing pads will in some cases eat up rotors if used on the street (race pads work only when very hot).

I tie off my pad sensors to my coilover strut on my M3 because I change pads every time I go to the track, which is often so I don't need the sensor to tell me when my pads are low, I see it first hand. You do not need to install the sensor on the pad to prevent warning lights, you just need to plug it into the control box. The light comes on when the sensor is worn down.

Not sure why your sensors do not fit. If you post a pic that would help - I've never installed Akebono myself but I hear they are very high quality. My StopTech pads have a much higher build quality standard then OEM pads and the senors fit fine into them.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 01-14-2013 at 10:44 PM.