View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 05:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
All cars have Trailing Throttle Oversteer. It is just a matter of how much, a little or a LOT.

The early Porsche 911 had a LOT, as did my Fiat 850 Spider. My E46 M3 has a bit, just enough to bring the tail out when I want.

The problem with rear engine cars is once the rear started moving out, all that mass out back made it very hard to catch and stop. Also more modern cars are tuned more towards understeer, so the TTO becomes almost neutral handling.
Which I think is essentially what I said. We can quibble over semantics about whether reducing the amount of understeer is the same thing as oversteer, but I think we can all agree that abruptly getting off the throttle if you find yourself going too fast in a corner is a bad idea.

And yes, I agree about the Fiat 850. When I autocrossed one of those in college you had to be smooth with the throttle in corners.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).