View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by clinkinfo View Post
The testing is great, but there's also an element of common sense and safety that you have to exercise in bad weather. I go to parking lots covered in snow/ice and periodically practice stopping distance, loss of traction, etc, so I have some idea what to expect on the roads. Especially at the beginning of the winter, so I can see the difference tire wear has made. Then, I try and stay "that" far away from danger.

The point, if you've put yourself in a position to be 30 feet from a stopped car at a light in the snow/ice traveling 30MPH, YOU SCREWED UP!

And you can't simply say "sometimes it happens" because when the weather is bad it's your job as the operator to do everything you can to make sure it doesn't happen. If you know your car/tires capabilities and take the responsibility to heart, excellent all season tires are more then adequate for most snow and winter conditions.
That is true in some sense. I am more worried about the other drives with there 75k all season ties on a minivan driving too fast while talking on the phone. That is when I want dedicated winters compared to M+S. Then again dedicated season tires vs All season debates will always happen. The ones who cheated tire/rim companies from buying a senseless extra set of tires vs the best performance for both seasons.

ps. I have been running winter/summer sets as long as I can remember and I actually pay less for tires in the long run.
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500