View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 08:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2014 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
The fun of a manual is in the direct, mechanical control of a piece of complex machinery and the challenge to do it well. It is no longer faster or more fuel-efficient than a top-end automatic or DCT, and while you do have more control, you do not necessarily have better control. (The number of drivers who can drive a stick well dwindles by the day, and many of the remainder don't even know they're not very good.) Take away that connection and you might as well just use whichever tech makes your car better/faster/smoother than the other guy's--because if you don't, he sure will. Anything else is affectation.
That's sort of the point. I could care less that a DCT or an AT can shift faster/better/smoother then I can. If the car is 0-60 in 4.6 with a DCT and 5.4 with a 6MT, I'll take the 6MT, I don't need the fastest 60, or quarter mile. I don't race my car, I drive it with spirit, and it's not for anyone else, it's for me. and its more fun to row the gears, to find that perfect shift, and to have that control and feel connected. While the control may not make the car drive better, it makes it more enjoyable, hence why many prefer the 6MTs, when ATs/DCTs these days are better for driving quicker/faster.

I do see your point, that maybe given the technology of a DCT, maybe I did look at it backwards. If the DCT had the ability to use a clutch, and row the gears, i'd definitely have a look at it.

and on your point of the number of drivers and their MT skills, that's part of the reason why driving an MT is awesome. I don't claim to be the best MT drive, I'm efficient, I get a passing grade, but I know I can be better, and that's awesome that I know I can be a better manual driver and I can strive for that. With an AT, can you hit the gas? great, you can drive an AT transmission, off you go. No challenge to it, and no room to improve and have something to look forward to.
2012 F30 335i Sedan - BSM, Sport Line, PP,Tech,HK,CW,DA2
2010 E90 M3 - JBM PP,TP,ES,CW,Beast

BMWCCA #471315