Thread: Bmw sell out
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985mb View Post
My point was that BMW's entry level offerings have always been underpowered on paper. Wasn't so long ago that BMW's I6s were making 170-180-190 hp. People could point to any number of Toyota, Honda, Acura, Subaru, Mistubishi, etc. products as being more powerful (for less money).

This isn't anything new. This isn't a sell out.

The "It ain't an E36 any more" lament is just pointless. Nobody is making an E30/36 any more. Nobody, not BMW, not any other OEM. Might as well lament nobody making Elans any more.

Not to mention calling a 2013 F30 320i "BMW Selling Out" is ludicrous when you have had, just to name a few examples, BMW producing the following cars just to add volume (and make some more money):
  1. The Isetta...and then Rover
  2. 318i and 318Ti compact
  3. 528e and other eta/efficiency models
  4. X5 and every other X SUV/people carrier that followed
  5. A 5 series (F10) platform that is by all accounts no longer the driving benchmark in its class (first time ever)
Somewhere along the line I think you have confused my response with somebody else's. I've never said BMW is selling out, and I have never said that anyone is or isn't making cars like they did in the past. My only point is that they are doing it for marketing reasons, not because of any sort of government regulations.

What you are saying here is a whole different discussion.