View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi

Joelgk - The premium brand head units will often have a steering wheel controls interface in the accessories part of their product lineups. Check to see if whichever head unit you shortlist to buy has one. If not, then the aftermarket brands like Paser and PAC offer interfaces as well. My steering wheel is a genuine E46 M3 CSL item, and as I don't mind reaching over less than one foot away from the steering wheel, I saved the extra costs of the interface. If you *must* have steering controls, then the front of these later M Sport steering wheels come off easily by loosening 4 screws, and the upper and lower parts split from each other. You could then pickup the part with the steering wheel controls and fit that. Most steering wheels offered for sale on classifieds and ebay etc are with the controls anyway - not many CSL wheels come up - I also have a upper piece with no buttons at all for a totally clean look and I might fit that up. My setup has zero oem components in, I always go for high quality audio components and oem modules dont' provide anywhere near the performance level I like. A good quality aftermarket head unit like I've shown in my car above can be fitted to any E39. I always recommend using aftermarket amplifiers and speakers to maximise the benefit of the upgrade. If you want to try and integrate some oem modules with aftermarket, you generally then start to run into headaches or just plain can't be done. I have no CD player, all my music is on the iPod there, which just plugs into the head unit - no pricey oem to iPod adaptors needed!

hh3uunp - but, I don't have an iPhone! - But yes, for my GPS requirements I use a free app called 'Waze' on my HTC android smartphone and it works well enough for me and you can't argue with the 'free' price tag!In techy circles, especially in computing you're referring to Moore's law - the next gen of oem incar audio and electronics is/could be gesture based, eye movement tracking based and large 15/17 inch portrait orientation touch/widescreens ! - by 2025, cars will be thought controlled !! after that, the finishing touches to the Star Trek Transporter will be complete !

Cheers, Dennis!