View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i M Sport
I would not recommend purchasing a lemon “buyback” vehicle no matter how good the price is or how good it looks. You can read old threads related to the buyback of my 2011 328i convertible if you are interested. In my case, the car could not be fixed.

BMW agreed to buy it back after burning a lot of time, money and loaner cars to try to fix it. When I signed the car over to BMW and received a check, I was presented with paperwork that said the vehicle could not be sold in California where I reside (OP, your state may have different requirements). It would go to auction and no BMW dealer could purchase it for resale. The car was in pristine showroom condition with 8,700 miles on it.

About 2 months later, I decided to run the VIN # on Google and the car showed up listed on eBay. I did some research and found it was owned by an independent dealer in Dallas, Texas. The listing did not indicate that it was a buyback. The car was priced about $10k less than what I paid and it sold within a week after I spotted it.

I do know the new owner got a beautiful, great car that I hated to part with. I doubt they have any clue as to all the trouble I went through and highly doubt the problem was ever fixed after I turned it in.

I do not know for sure but I would imagine that BMW has this car flagged in their system, which could allow them to reject future repair attempts since it was sold as a lemon vehicle.

Buying a used car does not always mean you are buying someone else’s problems. When purchasing a lemon or “buyback” car you are definitely buying a vehicle that had problems and most likely still has them.