View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tojjm View Post
I was wondering if anyone could help us, we have just bought a X5 & the spare key battery was dead, so I found instructions to replace it, I also got the guide how to reprogram the spare key, which I carried out, the first way ( using a working key) did not work, so I used the second way, this only half worked, I could open the boot & unlock the doors, but would not lock, I tried it a couple of times & got the same result, so I gave up, I tried to start the car with the main key, but it would not start, it just made a electrical click, now i'm stuck with a nice X5 on my drive that don't work.
I'm assuming you did not cut open the main key that now only makes an electrical click and does not start the car. This sounds like the car battery is dead. If you did cut open the key then you might have damaged the EWS portion of the key that enables starting of the car. The key programming does not have anything to do with being able to start the car or the battery in the key. Key programming is only for syncing up the keyless entry buttons to lock, unlock and pop the boot remotely. For the key that you say only half works where it can open the boot and unlock the doors. It sounds like you might have damaged a component or two on the circuit board when you cut it open. Check out these pictures of some genius key repair work bmwgm5.com/kf_wos.htm