View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 05:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 E63650i View Post
I know it's ridiculous, but if the car is near six-figures when it's brand new, you should not have to do something like this. I rarely drive my Lexus SUV and it's fine when it has not been started for weeks.
I've had my '07 vert for 14 months. The battery was replaced prior to my getting the car.

I travel a great deal so the car frequently sits for days and occasionally for 2 weeks or more. When I'm home I do drive it a fair amount, and most trips I make are at least 10-15 miles each way. I could put on 200 miles on a weekend easily.

I also frequently put the top up or down in the garage with the the engine off.

I can't explain it but I never have a problem. I have a battery tender but I have never used it.

Maybe it's the long drives when I drive, and the battery is getting topped off. Maybe I'm just lucky. Maybe it will be dead when I go out today.

BMW may think we have "Unfavorable driving profiles" but I think they have "unrealistic engineering and design criteria".

There is so much about this machine that is "Over Engineered" that it takes away from the pleasure of driving it, makes needlessly unreliable, and certainly adds to the cost of owning it.

That being said, I had a 1979 733i in the late 80's. Beautiful white/red leather/5 speed. Compared to that car, these are bullet proof fantastic cars.

I also had a '76 MGB in the early 80's. British racing green perfect condition, so much fun, and a total POS! It broke down daily, and I still miss it!

I have a friend that has an '07 M6 SMG vert that he bought brand new. He had to pay $$$$ and over list to get it at the time. He is a serious expert and there are lots of mods and lots of $$$ in this baby. He has only 17K miles on it!

There is a reason Ferrari's that are 10 years old only have 3,000 miles on them. You can't drive them like a Kia. If you want to play you have to pay. At least many of us use the 6 as a daily driver. Try that with a Lambo.

I consider it as much a hobby as a car. Yea, these cars are high maintenance, but I'll keep mine.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White

Last edited by roseng; 01-17-2013 at 06:00 AM.