Thread: TPMS Question
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
I didn't realize that...although I thought of another way...

Take 10 psi out of a tire .......
Yes, I was thinking if there could an easy test like that, based on the fact that the indirect FTM will not detect anything if all 4 tires have lost pressure equally.

The direct TPMS will alert you immediately under that circumstance.

So if a 2007 X3 owner was uncertain whether they had FTM or TPMS (most built late in the model year for U.S. market appear to have TPMS), you could check it by dropping all 4 tires to 20 psi and drive off to see if you get an alert.

If you don't get an alert you have FTM, if you do, you have TPMS.

There are definitely a few Canadian BMWs where an owner has mistakenly bought sensors with a new set of wheels and they are serving no useful purpose.

This is because many other car makers have been putting direct TPMS in their Canadian market models since 2008 because it's simpler for them even though not required.
(Not uniform because with Japanese models, for example, it may depend on which country the assembly plant is in.)

Consequently, tire & wheel shops in Canada tend to assume that customers need TPMS sensors until proven otherwise.

Same for European market, although they do seem to be making it mandatory for 2014.
Whether they will approve direct TPMS only and exclude indirect FTM I am not sure.