Thread: Snow
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Motorcycle
I'm with Pedro. 18" Blizzaks were fantastic on a steep incline, 4" fresh powder on top of very hard pack. I mashed the accelerator to get a sense of what it would take to break the traction. It would do it but the car was accelerating up hill very well. I was quite impressed. I also run summer tires and can confirm they are dangerous in snow. I bought my car in Idaho in December of '09. It came with Kumho performance summer tires on it. The roads were fine until I hit Jersey......wet snow. I have to tell you my palms were not exactly dry. Very slight movements on the gas pedal caused the rear to slip sideways, and at one point on a slight incline, I was really afraid I was going to be stuck since heavy traffic had the road slow going.

For me it comes down to safety. I want tires that stop in the shortest distance possible. Summer tires don't last as long, but they grip better wet or dry. Winter tires are single season only and honestly require a second set of rims and a place to store it all; but they stop and start very well on ice and snow comparatively. No brainer as far as I'm concerned. 10 feet of stopping distance can be the difference of a hit or miss.

j

Last edited by jkess114; 01-17-2013 at 01:47 PM.