View Single Post
Old 04-20-2004, 12:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 535ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by demenas
Hi, Do you have any pictures of the satellite display mounted in the ashtray? I have the Dension unit and satellite but have not installed it yet. It looks like if I take the ashtray out the display will fit down there, but wanted to find a way to mount it so it did not move around, and was at the best angle. Also, any tipis running the remote display would help (for a car without the rear fold-down seats).

Thanks.
I guess I was just too lazy - still haven't taken any pics.

The remote display fits nicely in the ashtray. I haven't attached mine; in fact I keep it lose on purpose - I have some extra cable in, so I can always pull it out if I want to. The only issue I have with this setup is that when I close the ashtray door, sometimes it hits the big button Play/Pause - very inconvinient

One important detail - when you install it, use unswitched power for the red extra wire. They don't mention that anywhere in the documentation, but it's important. When I did my install, I used switched power - makes sense when you turn the engine off you want the player to go off as well. But as it turns out, this resets the Soundgate adapter and the head unit loses the player. So instead you have to use unswitched power, so the adapter is always powered; the player itself goes on pause when the engine goes off, and turns itself off automatically after a minute or so.

As for the cables - the installer I used initially did a very good job - no visible wires anywhere. Later I traced the cables - both the red wire and the satelite display cable go through the wiring harness opening behind the driver-side rear seat (I have folding seats too). From there the red wire goes under the driver-side door sills and under the dashboard where it connects to a power source (I guess the reason for this was my request for switched power back then). The satelite display cable actually goes into the center console from under the rear seat (I presume you have to dismount the center console in order to do that) and then comes out in the ashtray. Hope that helps