View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 07:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
You know, I used to love to talk about the stereotypes and the stigmas, but guess what: You're wrong.

I live in the BMW 3 Series capital of the world, Bergen County New Jersey, only 12 minutes from BMW USA Corporate Headquarters in Park Ridge. And I can tell you, without exaggeration, I must see 30 E90's and F30's a day. And that's if I drive 30 minutes. If I drive an hour or two, forget it, I can't even count how many I see.

When I drive by these other cars, I look straight through the windshield to see who's driving them. You know, maybe get an enthusiast to give me the look, maybe get an admirer to give me the ol' thumbs up. They never do. What I see through those scores of 3 Series windshields are mostly women, mostly 46 years old, all hauling kids around town at 28 MPH.

I'm not sure what college town you live in, but there aren't any college kids that I see on the roads around here. I'd say 1 out of every 100 E90's I see on the road are driven by 18-22 year olds, and almost all of them are in dad's car.

I'm sure that at BMW HQ some marketers do modeling around age demography, but what they've done to the F30 doesn't support your "get younger" theory. The car is bigger, softer, and more luxurious. The lower price helps, but this isn't a Civic, never will be.

BMW lowered the price to go after more-of-same. Plenty of 50-somethings out there who want a BMW and can afford a BMW but were tired of having to live with a firm suspension and powerful engine they didn't want and eschew features like a garage door opener or nav that they did want in the process. BMW forced you to pay for more engine and more suspension than you really needed; now they've corrected it, now you can delete that performance and put the $4,300 to goodies instead. It's as simple as that.

BJ
Your area is an exception. Mine is also in that no one has an xi unless they moved here with one.

For Central Florida, here are the typical 3 Series drivers:

E46: young apartment dwellers and/or modders. Mostly bought used for under $15k.
E90: The 06s, 07s and 08s are being driven by current college students who got them used. 09s and newer are older, upscale buyers/leasers.
F30: Older, upscale buyers/leasers. I don't see many of these, but they are almost always "no lines" when I do.
2012 Alpine White F30 328i Leather Dakota Everest Grey/Sport Line/Premium/Premium Sound/Technology/STEPTRONIC/Rear View Camera/Heated Front Seats/Park Distance Control/Xenons/BMW Assist w/Enhanced USB/BMW Apps