View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 ford Explorer EB V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
If you like your Explorer, get the new Explorer. It is much improved. The X1 is a completely different type of vehicle.
I disagree completely - the new Explorer is front wheel drive, something I do not want, is way too wide, too long, weighs way too much, and can not even carry some of the things my 2006 Explorer easily carries, as they built big boxes on both sides of the cargo compartment. I tried the seats in a top of the line fully loaded Explorer Sport, and they were so bad that I did not even bother to drive it. Yuck!

The main problem with the X1 for me is that it may be too small, and this hesitation thing sounds like a multiple times per day nuisance. I do like that it can be had without navigation. The X1 would be easier to park, a significant issue for much of the work I do. The X3 coats way more, and has almost no practical increase in cargo capacity.

I'm tempted by the new longer version of the Hyundai Santa Fe which goes on sale in a few weeks, as I like the interior, the second row captain's chairs (even better than 40-20-40), and it is about the same size as my Explorer, but I really do not want front wheel drive, or front-based AWD. I've had enough front drivers (1984 Pontiac Sunbird Turbo, 1988 Pontiac Bonneville SSE, 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx) that I know it is an inferior design.

I can afford (pay cash) for just about any vehicle, but am focused on investing in nice newer single family houses in nice neighborhoods where rents are good, not spending big on depreciating vehicles.