View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FStephenMasek View Post
I disagree completely - the new Explorer is front wheel drive, something I do not want, is way too wide, too long, weighs way too much, and can not even carry some of the things my 2006 Explorer easily carries, as they built big boxes on both sides of the cargo compartment. I tried the seats in a top of the line fully loaded Explorer Sport, and they were so bad that I did not even bother to drive it. Yuck!

The main problem with the X1 for me is that it may be too small, and this hesitation thing sounds like a multiple times per day nuisance. I do like that it can be had without navigation. The X1 would be easier to park, a significant issue for much of the work I do. The X3 coats way more, and has almost no practical increase in cargo capacity.

I'm tempted by the new longer version of the Hyundai Santa Fe which goes on sale in a few weeks, as I like the interior, the second row captain's chairs (even better than 40-20-40), and it is about the same size as my Explorer, but I really do not want front wheel drive, or front-based AWD. I've had enough front drivers (1984 Pontiac Sunbird Turbo, 1988 Pontiac Bonneville SSE, 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx) that I know it is an inferior design.

I can afford (pay cash) for just about any vehicle, but am focused on investing in nice newer single family houses in nice neighborhoods where rents are good, not spending big on depreciating vehicles.
Let me say this. The 2013 Santa Fe and the 2013 X1 are two completely different vehicles. From the outside, the Santa Fe might appear to be similar and only slightly larger than the X1, but that is where the similarities stop. When I looked into these two vehicles (they were both my 1 and 2 for vehicles when I was looking) I test drove both and thought they were similar. The BMW, however, felt more planted, nimble, and sporty. The difference was not huge, though. My initial feelings were not all that accurate, though.

Shortly after I purchased my X1 through ED I tipped my father off, who was in search of a new vehicle, to the Santa Fe and he ended up buying one. His car is a 2013 2.0T Sport Santa Fe with every option possible. The car is a VERY nice car, but now having my X1, and us having now driven each others cars for a day or more, we both agree that they are much different cars.

The Santa Fe is a large SUV. It may not be extremely large, though the long wheel base version might be, but it is much larger than the X1. I can get a side by side shot of the two cars together for comparison if you want. The X1, like my initial feelings gave me, is much more nimble and sporty. It is a smaller vehicle and in my fathers words, "more like a sporty wagon than an SUV." The Santa Fe drives like an SUV, yet the X1 drives like a sporty sedan. The Santa Fe also has a lot more technology and standard bells and whistles, and the BMW may be simpler in total, but it is more luxurious than the Santa Fe.

The comparisons could go on all day, but realistically it is like comparing an Orange to a Grapefruit. The Santa Fe and X1 are different vehicles.