Thread: Bmw sell out
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
Somewhere along the line I think you have confused my response with somebody else's. I've never said BMW is selling out, and I have never said that anyone is or isn't making cars like they did in the past. My only point is that they are doing it for marketing reasons, not because of any sort of government regulations.
I will agree with this. I just want to add that the answer is not "go buy 1 series" (even though it is true at least when talking about current 1 series coupe - awesome car). I believe there might be a very good chance in near future that we will be able to buy a "true" BMW again under the Triumph (or some other) nameplate. Not BMW anymore, that ship has sailed quite some time ago.

However, in order for Triumph (or other) to exist, BMW has to have a large number of mass (and, by definition, mediocre) product that people buy covering all sectors of the market. As soon as "i" series establishes itself on the market and 1 series switches to FWD platform, we can expect an outlier to come out, whatever that is. All told, we are talking around 2017. Not really that far into the future.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .