View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by denniscasey View Post
Today test drove 2013 535 ix with base suspension but 18 way comfort seats ( a requirement I have) and a very loaded 550 ix with Dynamic Handling Package among many other options. Both cars had two buttons on console marked Sport and Comfort and I tried both settings in both cars, but didn't see a huge difference. The main point of this post is I have to say I like my 2006 550i with sport package better than either of the 2013's.

When I drove my CPO in 2009 it gave me that "wow" factor and I still get that feeling when I drive the car. When I stepped out of my 2006 550 i and then drove the 2013's I felt the cars were smoother and maybe quieter but neither one felt as responsive or as connected to the road as my 550 i. The sales person actually agreed with me, but blamed it on the 8 speed transmissions vs my 6 speed auto-- the 8 speed giving a smoother but not as "snappy" a feel to acceleration. It could even have to do with the fact that both the 2013's were AWD vs my RWD.

With more time spent in the 2013's I don't doubt that I would see and feel the differences between the 535 and 550 (just based on horsepower and torque published data) and I would agree that both cars are more "refined" and "smoother" than my old 550, but maybe not as fun? Driving home in my old car I actually began thinking I would just keep it and drive it into the ground (money I save on depreciation will more than pay for repairs I think) and just don't take it on long trips where a breakdown would be a problem. And I won't have issues with run flats (my old car has conventional tires on it and the doughnut spare in the trunk).

Apologies for not giving a comparison between the 2013's I drove, but in the time I had to do some freeway driving and some twisty rough back road driving neither car was as fun as my old 550i. And not fair to compare the two 2013's in the limited drive I did.
You are not the first to say that. My advice, keep your car for a while. The F10 LCI is around the corner and somewhere around 2016 we should see Porsche's five series which is rumoured to be built on a new platform to be shared with the new Lambo Gallardo and new Audi R8. This should be a fun car.