View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Motorcycle
Is this true? I think your explanation may be misleading. The two ingredients that are of most concern where gasoline is concerned is octane and hepthane. Of the two, Hepthane is the bang component in the fuel and octane is what regulates how easily the fuel burns . . . the more octane in the fuel, the more controlled the explosion is at higher compression.

For example. In a high performance engine that has been running for a bit, and is therefore at its hot operating temperature, the compression itself can "detonate" the fuel in the cylinder before the crankshaft is in the right position and the spark plug has gone off if there isn't enough octane to control the explosion. These engines need higher octane gas to keep the gas from detonating (knocking) too early in the combustion cycle. The Octane is there to slow the combustion process down.

Best,
josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Rage View Post
ok, then forget the numbers.... get the highest octane availabel, besides race fuel

The whole thing with the numbers is the octane, which in lamens terms means how hot it burns. The higher octane gases (in US 89 and 91) burn hotter which makes them more powerful. Engines are designed with a certain fuel usage in mind.

AS far as that design goes: Compression Ratio. Thats why higher end cars get knock whne using low octane gas. It does get the reuired power from the burned fuel.

The terms regualar and premium or whatever is on the pump is a misleading.. Its a sales pitch. MOST people drive an aisian import or mid class american car that takes 87... but to get these people to pay more for gas they call 91 "premium" and people think its better for their cars... not true.

BTW, I use chevron and shell... chevron with techron, and shell has nitrogen enriched fuel... I dont ever use fuel additives...