View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 06:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5
Before X5 I had LR3, which is roughtly LR4 minus newer engine, fancy interior and LEDs, and I can honestly tell you that if their turbo diesel version was available there, I'd stay in the Land Rover camp.

It is much roomier car, the 3rd row is fully functional for adults (and you still get a spare unlike in X5) Mine was HSE (top version), so it had few nice options like a cooler b/w front seats, separate audio and A/C unit for rear seats. The touch-screen navi was more convenient than CIC, and little things like front parktronic that would turn on automatically when crawling forward or rear wiper switching automatically when reversing in rain were really nice and you notice lack of them when going elsewhere. Oh, and the air suspension that allows you to change the ride height manually is .

Having said all that, LR is HEAVY, so the mileage is in lower teens - mine mostly highway averaged 14 MPG, - and every time I was driving it alone I couldn't help but think why am I carrying all this weight. Also, unlike what they say from the reliability perspective my LR was solid in 2 1/2 years and required only replacement of parktronic unit. The service and warranty experience with my dealer was top notch, but I'm pretty sure it would change had I have to pay for any repairs myself. It went thru a set of apparently rare 19" goodyears in less than 30k miles, with excessive inside wear, so I could see some rather big expenses, incl. 30K service, coming before I got rid of it.

So, to sum it up, leasing a brand new LR4 can be very pleasant; owning a used one - .

Last edited by smyles; 01-19-2013 at 08:43 AM.