View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
You mean at or below invoice? Before rebates? Not like the 3 series command anywhere close to MSRP.
Agreed there are discounts on both cars which makes it tough to compare. It's also difficult to option the 328i apples-to-apples with the GTI because of BMW's options packages. For example, to get xenons, leather, premium stereo, sports suspension, and moonroof, you end up adding all sorts of other bits on the BMW.
But the larger point is that there are some really compelling cars out there for $10-15 less than a 3-series, comparably equipped. If I'm going to pay $45K, I expect to get exactly what I want. At that price, I'm not willing to make compromises about fundamentals like the drivetrain.
When I bought my 2006 330Cic, I custom ordered to get manual, sports, premium, PDC on a sparkling graphite convertible with black leather and aluminum trim. There were no 330Cic available in inventory anywhere in the US that were manual and did NOT have navigation. So I custom ordered. I got about $1,500 off MSRP and arguably paid too much since it was a last-year 3-series. But I got exactly what I want and was really happy with it!
So, coming back to the manual transmission with all-wheel drive. I'll echo a post further up in the thread and say that I'd gladly pay more for the option. Luxury, to me, is getting what you want. Maybe (by this definition), BMW is no longer a luxury car...

-James
Seattle, WA
2006 BMW X3 (manual, m-sport, premium, xenons, PDC, prem. stereo)