View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by st1sj View Post
Thanks for the response folks! Going to take another look at the car today. Wow, the 6 speed is so rare!

Perhaps I can use the standard 17 for winter tires and get some 18" with summer tires. That is how my current Infiniti is set up too. I take it that I would then have to go to the dealer to program the TPMS, yes?

Camp: what am I giving up with the sports package?
You're giving up lots with the Sports Package. Multi-Contour Seats (they are awesome), active roll stabilization, 19" wheels, M body kit (transforms the look of the car), different exhaust (sounds a bit different, but no more HP). When I was buying my car, I wouldn't consider one without the sports package. For that reason, I ended up flying up to San Francisco (I live near LA) to buy it, and then drove it home. Couldn't be happier.

Have you been looking at the BMW pre-owned web page? Last time I looked, there were about 8 manual trans cars there. Be careful when you read the dealer descriptions, a lot of dealers call the car a manual trans car when it has the Sport Auto package, which is the automatic with a sport mode and paddle shifters. People on this site speak very highly of that set up, but it isn't a true manual gearbox. Look at the pictures, or even easier, look at the VIN. If it doesn't start with a "3", it isn't a 6MT.

Although these cars are rare, they are out there and for sale. Just keep looking, and don't settle for something that doesn't have what you really want. I looked for my car for over six months before I found what I really wanted. BTW, I was originally in the market for a new G37 6MT, until my neighbor let me drive his 535. I loved the car, and started investigating to find out what they cost lightly used. I quickly realized I could also afford a 550 for the same price as a new G37. I found a 6MT 550 at a non-BMW dealer locally, and after driving it, there was no turning back. Then, it was watching the CPO page for the right car to come up, and eventually, it did. Keep up the search, be patient, and you will be rewarded. Don't jump at the first car. Don't be afraid to travel to get the right car. Depending on where it is, somebody here on the forum may be available to go look at a car for you; if in LA, give me a holler!

Keith