View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 11:50 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
If I'm not mistaken, you don't have to worry about getting it real tight as the rotation of the engine tightens it. I'm open to correction if I'm wrong.

That's the purpose of the left hand thread's BUT, you still need to make certain it's tight or you may go through 2 new fans in 3 days like I did. I'd replaced my fan because it chucked a couple of blades and when I put it back on I relied on the friction of the belts to hold the nut while I tightened it. This is a bit extreme but a couple days later during hot weather and after sitting in a drive through line for a while, probably long enough for the viscous clutch to kick in and be spinning the fan, I needed to pull out into traffic. It was a 6 lane road and I had to really get on the throttle to get across the first three lanes then back down to a stop to wait for an opening in the direction I needed to go. Apparently the quick acceleration with the viscous clutch engaged followed by the hard deceleration left enough inertia in the fan that it loosened the nut and spun out and off the water pump. Fortunately it only damaged the fan shroud and didn't puncture the radiator!
Sooooo......my advice and now my practice is I give the wrench a couple whacks with the hammer to tighten the nut and finish off the job.