View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 11:28 PM
Marine

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
There is no way that they would have been able to tell that it was leaking. I personally changed my valve cover gaskets and timing gaskets and then I found out that the alternator bracket gasket was leaking as well. Due to the angle of the valve covers all the oil usually is leaking in the same spot. My alternator gasket was shooting straight up on to the valve cover gasket. This job is lets say worth the $1000 if you have the money. I did it with a buddy and it took us 5 hours. The amount of parts that need taken off and the amount tools required is mind blowing. I filled up around 25 feet of tables tightly packed with parts and even had to call up a buddy because he has small hands. You can try to see if he will work out a deal on the price since you just did work there, also check I believe that it only calls for 7 hours according to bmw. You might also want to check the oil pressure switch and vacuum pump for leaks. After I did all my work I found out that both gaskets (one only available online) were leaking on the vacuum pump and the pressure switch was leaking. From my experience everything on my car went bad within 2 weeks and needed replaced. I guess thats what I get for buying a low milage 7 year old vehicle. Unless you have access to a lift I would not even consider trying to replace the alternator gasket yourself.

Last edited by Medicus; 01-19-2013 at 11:29 PM.