View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 07:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
If a $300 per tire price was an issue I would not be pulling off new tires (2K miles) & replacing them. Its really silly to do the old "if you can afford a BMW you should be able to afford -------" to justify something that may be unnecessary, over priced or simply a different choice then you are comfortable with. At any rate $300 is stretching the point a bit since the spread for a whole set of factory issue RFT's over up sized quality summers is about $110.

Back to the tires & winding up in a fiery crash because they are not run flats. I got my license in 1959 & have had exactly 1 catastrophic tire failure at speed. This includes a daily 130 mile round trip commute on the GSP & NJTP for about 20 years. The car IIRC was a Pontiac was rolling fast in the outside lane. Front right blew out its sidewall. I reacted properly & got the car to the slow side shoulder so I could put on Mickey Mouse.

Whatever generation the RFT's came on my 2011 sucked. Harsh, Crash banging over road irregularities & had a lot of trouble holding the cars torque. Switched to a few sizes up go flat summer compound & made what was a marginal car al lot of run to drive.
You're entitled to your opinion and I respect it.

The point I was trying to make rotated around 2 primary complaints with respect to RFTs, price and handling. I am simply saying that neither is that much worse in the context of every day, non-performance driving, when compared with traditional go-flat alternatives.

Safety, however, is the big winner with RFTs. In my instance, safety is paramount and edges out price and handling. If you've ever swapped a flat tire on a highway, you'll understand my point. If you cannot, pray that you never have to.
As for the "silly" argument, there is nothing silly in it. So I'll say it again, you cannot buy a BMW and whine about differences in tire costs. This is peanuts compared to the overall price and maintenance $$ that the car will require. The old saying about being dollar cheap and penny wise may come to mind....