View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
You're entitled to your opinion and I respect it.

The point I was trying to make rotated around 2 primary complaints with respect to RFTs, price and handling. I am simply saying that neither is that much worse in the context of every day, non-performance driving, when compared with traditional go-flat alternatives.

Safety, however, is the big winner with RFTs. In my instance, safety is paramount and edges out price and handling. If you've ever swapped a flat tire on a highway, you'll understand my point. If you cannot, pray that you never have to.
As for the "silly" argument, there is nothing silly in it. So I'll say it again, you cannot buy a BMW and whine about differences in tire costs. This is peanuts compared to the overall price and maintenance $$ that the car will require. The old saying about being dollar cheap and penny wise may come to mind....
Price was not an issue when I replaced the RFTs but comfort and handling was. The difference in handling could easily be felt in ordinary driving because even at moderate speeds the RFTs would bounce all over the place and could not stay in contact with the road surface. I found them to be dangerous because it was so easy for the car to become unsettled or lose traction.

I agree with the dangers of changing a tire at the side of the road but that is what BMW Assist and AAA are for.

Also keep in mind that you have on several occasions announced your desire to own an M3 - a car that comes with regular tires and no spare.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians