View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
To cmac2012:

It seems that you have conjured up a rather well-developed scenario as to what might have happened in order to support your position.

However, I am sure that you would agree that you really don't know what did actually transpire, though, in fairness, that is true for all of us, apart from those who were there.

All we know is that the woman approaching the truck behaved like a wild animal, while the folks in the truck were essentially restrained in their responses.
What happened before, if anything, would dictate whether the woman was or was not justified in being upset, but that is clearly another matter or separate issue.

Perhaps things would have played out differently if she had said something like, "Could I ask you to shut down your vehicle...it's creating a lot of fumes which is disturbing to me, and is also wasting fuel and causing unnecessary pollution," or something like that. Maybe she did...but maybe she just sat there and fumed, and went to DefCon 4 right away. Again, neither of us was there.

If she initially spoke quietly and reasonably up to that point, and if the truck folks responded by inviting her to perform an anatomically impossible or at best a highly improbable act, it would then be "on them," and I would agree with the Prius crowd.

By the way, I am not a total Libertarian or whatever, as I think that jerks who insist on going down the street with their boom box cars blaring to the point that the street actually vibrates should be thinned from the gene pool.

Richard
Of course I don't know the full series of events. Like I said, dude pulled out his cam after it got heated. Nobody is going to have their cam out and going for the first approach. It was clear to me that for the Diesel PU people having the AC going uninterrupted for their child's comfort was their foremost concern. That sort of arrogance leads me think that no matter how she approached them the first time, they were going to blow her off. It boggles the mind. A healthy child can't continue to sleep at ambient temps? Maybe a little peace and quiet would have aided the child's sleeping.

As I said earlier, I sometimes like to take a brief power nap if I'm worried about alertness at the wheel. I could easily see myself trying to nap in a parking lot and a PU show up and stay at idle, me starting to fume wondering when they were going to shut the damn thing off.

I have little patience for people who think keeping their diesel running takes precedence over all other concerns. We bow down to the IC engine enough as it is. The woman was an ass but I'd have been pissed as well and I don't drive a Prius.

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. anon

Last edited by cmac2012; 01-20-2013 at 02:34 PM.