View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 50i
This kind of thing blows my mind. These are $60-$80K vehicles and we're talking about a hinged door assembly. In 2013, it really shouldn't be a major engineering feat to build a rear hatch that fits properly, doesn't squeak, and opens/closes with ease.

My 2012 X5 50i doesn't have hatch rattles (thankfully), but the auto-open/close function works only about 90% of the time, just enough for the problem to never manifest itself in front of a service technician.

I picked up a 2013 Toyota Land Cruiser for my wife a few months ago, and the difference in overall build quality is like night and day. There are definitely some things about the BMW that are head and shoulders better than the LC, but it ain't the body/paint/interior fit. If BMW could pair up the iDrive/interior aesthetics, engine, and suspension with the Toyota build quality, they'd have one hell of a vehicle.

The hatch on the Land Cruiser sounds like you're closing a vault when you shut it. At this price point, that's the only way it should be.